Monday, August 23, 2010

Good Sam Is Still on the Job

First posted on Fortitude!

My wife and I had not had much time together in a couple of months, so we decide to take a couple of days last week to meander through Central Texas. We planned to see a few sites along the way, but with no real agenda other than being together.

So last Thursday morning we left our home on the Gulf Coast and headed north. Our intended destination was the Dr. Pepper Bottling plant in Dublin. That is the only DP operation that still uses Imperial Pure Cane Sugar, as it has since 1891. We stopped a couple of times to read historical markers, but arrived shortly after noon.

After taking the tour of the plant and the adjacent museum, we headed toward Waco, where we planned to spend the night. On the way, we saw a sign that indicated that Crawford was only 9 miles off our route. So we decided to drive through to see if we could catch a glimpse of the George Bush ranch that was a getaway for the President during his eight years in Washington. We were a bit disappointed in that we were not able to see anything interesting. But, of course, our enjoyment for the day was not diminished in the least, since we were doing exactly what we had planned, meandering through Central Texas together. When we were finished with that little side trip, we once again headed toward Waco, this time on a two lane Farm to Market road. All at once our right front tire started making quite a bit of noise and became a bit hard to handle. I pulled over, expecting to find the tire flat. But it was not. There was no apparent damage, so I got back in the car, intending to proceed. But the tire got even louder and harder to control. I pulled into the driveway of a used car sales lot and got out to check things again.

As I was making the inspection, I must have looked perplexed because a fellow came from the garage area and asked if we were having a problem. I described the noise and handling situation. He immediately said that the tire had a broken steel belt. He bent down to study the tire, and very quickly discovered what he was seeking. He pointed out the crack that I had not noticed. I asked him if the tire would get us into Waco, which was six miles away. He said it should.

I asked him if there was a Discount Tire Center in Waco. He said there was and began to tell me how to find it. I said I needed to write down the instructions, and I turned to get paper and pen from the car. He stopped me and said he was about to leave, and that he was going in that direction. He said that if I would follow him, he would lead me right to the store. I agreed and thanked him.

On our way, the tire got steadily worse. We were still a couple of miles outside Waco when it blew out. I was a magnificent explosion. I pulled off the road and was preparing to change the tire. Our Good Samaritan guide was not finished with his good deeds. He backed his pick-up down the side of the highway and helped me make the change.

Maybe I should say I helped him make the change. He said he was already dirty and sweaty and there was no cause for me to get that way. He had the tire changed in no time and then completed his charity by leading us the rest of the way in to the tire center.

I am very grateful to our White Knight. I am also gratified to know that there are still such folks around. I hope to get to reciprocate the kindness we were shown by this stranger, whose name we found out was Thomas Jefferson. But if I don’t get to repay him, perhaps I can make a difference for some other traveler who needs a hand.


Add to Technorati Favorites

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story! And now you get to "pay it forward."

Family Fun and Faith said...

that is the plan!