Sunday, December 9, 2007

Telling the Grandkids About My Boyhood Hunting!

My grandsons love to have stories told to them while we are driving. This week I told them about the days when I was a boy and went to visit my dad's family in northeast Arkansas. They were farmers and lived very near several patches of woods where we were able to go hunting.

I told the boys stories of hunting squirrels, rabbits and birds. My Uncle Winkie and Aunt Joyce had dogs that were hunting dogs and we loved working the woods with them. I told the boys about skinning the animals we killed and eating them. I told them about the way Aunt Joyce would cook anything we brought home. It was a magical time in my life and I guess the stories went over well, because the boys now want to go to Arkansas to see Aunt Joyce and bring her a squirrel to fry!



Subscribe to Family Fun & Faith








Add to Technorati Favorites

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Soak that squirrel in salt water for a few hours before you cook it. It'll make the meat a little less tough.

Family Fun and Faith said...

I have never heard this suggestion. I wonder if Aunt Joyce has.