Friday, May 30, 2008

Watership Down Review

This post is part of the Book Club Challenge by Marathon Bird.
*************************************************************************************

The book club assigned book for the month of May was Watership Down. I had never read it, I think in part because I had the idea that it was an innocuous children’s book that was too long. But I was completely wrong. I no longer think it is too long and I am not at all sure I would call it a children’s book. I kept wishing for a lapine dictionary, only to find a glossary at the end of the book. Too late, I had just finished the story.

Richard Adams did a great job of developing characters and making them appealing. I came to care about a great number of the players in the tale of the rabbits moving to establish a safe and pleasant home at Watership Down. I am not sure who I would call my favorite character, all of them had attributes that were compelling. I found myself identifying with Hazel, trusting Fiver, admiring Bigwig and fearing General Woundwort. As I read the book, I was especially entertained by Kehaar, the seagull that became an important ally in the battles of Efrafa. I think the reason I liked him is that I know some folks in the Caribbean that sound a lot like the feathered fellow from the “Beeg Vater”.

Adams was masterful in moving the story along and making me believe these rabbits have proverbs and prophecies, longings and loyalties. I am not sure what message Adams hoped to transmit to the readers, but the one that rang out loudest to me was that everyone in a community is an important element of the society, from the smallest and meekest to the wisest and strongest.

I was pleased with the book and am pleased that I spent the time to read it. The next selection for the group is The Hiding Place, by Corrie Ten Boom. If you would like to participate in the book club, read the book and post a review on June 25. Happy reading.



Subscribe to Family Fun & Faith








Add to Technorati Favorites

1 comment:

Holly said...

I'm glad you were pleasantly surprised by the book. Rabbits can be highly entertaining, can't they?

I agree about the overall theme of each individual adding a valuable skill or talent to the overall group. Hazel was a good leader because he relied on others' talents at times. Could you imagine the stifling, overbearing climate of Efrafa? Or the resignation at Cowslip's Warren?

Glad you are a part of the BBBC and look forward to your input on The Hiding Place.