Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Abandon

This post is part of the Great Blogging Experience hosted by the ever gracious and hard working Alicia. Everyone is welcome to participate!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


I am not at all sure that I like the word abandon, not that it has ever done anything unkind to me. I just do not care for the ideas that it brings to my mind. Abandon friends, abandon ideas, abandon projects, abandon faith, abandon hope. Or being abandoned.

Perhaps it is because as a boy I was quick to quit if I thought I was going to fail. And I did not like the feelings quitting produced in me. I was about 25 before I truly embraced the idea that I should always do the best I could and never give up. Up till that time the only place I was dogged was on the baseball diamond, but probably that is because I never expected to be beaten there.

I can easily attribute my growth in perseverance to the relationship I have with my bride. We married young and she had to put up with a lot of immaturity and selfishness on my part in the early years. I am glad she took her vows, “for better or worse” seriously. I am committed to see that she gets the “better” the rest of the way.

Our youngest daughter was abandoned by her birth mother at 18 months. She has made some bad decisions and had some bad breaks in the past ten years and we are raising her boys, 8 & 7. We will never abandon her, or them. I can think of no greater cause than providing them a place of security and safe haven.

My God did not abandon me to my sinful self, and I will never abandon Him and His will for my life. He has to pick me up quite often, but He knows I will keep trying to reflect His love and light to those around. I don’t want anyone to be abandoned in the darkness.



Subscribe to Family Fun & Faith








Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: