Sunday, September 21, 2008

Teaching Them They Belong!

For the past week we have been digging out from the debris left by Hurricane Ike. After we got the limbs and leaves cut up and piled at the curb in our yard, we helped the neighbors on our block. We includes our 7 and 8 year old grandsons that live with us. We wanted them to understand what it means to belong to a community.

After we finished our block, the guys and I went to remove limbs and leaves from the lawns of our widows and elderly in the congregation. The boys could work for a couple of hours without distraction, then they would need a bit of a break. I set a pattern of half an hour working and half an hour to play/relax. They were able to contribute to the efforts throughout the days on that schedule.

The first day of the work, they were just using their hands to bag up leaves. That evening I took them to the Home Depot and bought each of them his own rake and pair of gloves. They were so proud of the new tools. I hope they remember this time when they are old men and tell their grandsons the stories.


Subscribe to Family Fun & Faith








Add to Technorati Favorites

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You sound like a patient teacher. And one who knows which tools to utilize.

hifidel said...

That's great, ff&f. There's nothing that makes one feel some ownership of his community like serving within it.

Family Fun and Faith said...

I wish I was as patient as I should be, pinhole, but I am working on it!

Hifidel, the boys were very proud of their tools and the work they did for neighbors. I think the reward will encourage more of that type action!