Saturday, April 5, 2008

Remembering Grandma!

I am in the midst of moving from my old office to the one I am to occupy in our new wing. Among the things I found stored was a cache of old bulletin articles I had written in 1980. I had kept them with some vague idea that I might compile them into a volume to submit for publication sometime in the future. Well, it is the future, and I am not sure I am up to a compilation or receiving rejection letters. I decided to put some on my blog. Here is the one from December 11 of that year.

My dad and I were together for an afternoon and evening a couple of weeks ago. We went to see a high school football playoff game at the Astrodome. We used to do such things often when I lived in Lake Jackson, but it was the first time in a good while that we have done it. We both enjoyed it. I hope we don’t wait so long to get together for another such outing again.

While driving to the Dome we began reminiscing about his mother and some of her philosophies. This lady was one of those truly great Christians. She lived her faith every day, her good deeds were a positive force on everyone who lived in her small farming community. She believed in doing her best at whatever she was involved in, whether the task was a pleasant one or not. She complained very seldom and expected to do her share. She slept soundly every night, she said, because she did not have a guilty conscience. Now her rest is eternally secured.

Her philosophy is not one that is widely spread in our society today. All too often we only want to do enough to get by. We look for ease and comfort. Frequently we expect to have things given to us. We would rather be “done for” than “do for” someone else. This attitude is prevalent in our work, our family life, our religious life, everywhere. At the appearance of a stumbling block, we give up.

We need to be ready to fight for the victory. Without combat, no victory is reached. Without labor, we cannot arrive at rest. My Christian brothers, be the best you can be. Whatever your hand finds to do, do with all your might. (Ecclesiastes 9:10).




Subscribe to Family Fun & Faith








Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: