Monday, January 14, 2008

Fifteen Years Ago Today

I dropped my wife off at the airport so she could fly to Amarillo and get to our daughter's side in time. We had just gotten the call that she had gone into labor and was on her way to the hospital in Pampa. I drove through the night, and a snow storm to meet the granddaughter we had seen on the ultrasound picture.

I arrived about seven am and went in to find my family. When I entered the room, my daughter asked, "Did you see my son?" I was dumbfounded. Ultrasound pictures do not always do justice to a young man. When they placed the little fellow in my hands for the first time, I felt as if all my work was done, that all that meant anything to me would go on through this child. And to hear that his middle name is my surname; sweet icing on the cake!


Subscribe to Family Fun & Faith








Add to Technorati Favorites

3 comments:

hifidel said...

I like the tradition of a child wearing a family name as his/her middle name (my middle name is my grandmother's). I think it gives a sense of connectedness and continuity.

Sounds like the memories get sweeter as the years pass. That speaks well of your grandson!

Anonymous said...

I remember this story -- and it is still as sweet!

My oldest brother has our mother's maiden name as his middle name. I've always liked that.

Family Fun and Faith said...

Hey Hifidelity and EG, I wear the maiden name of my mom as my middle name and since there are no more males in the line, I will be the last to wear the family name.

I was not anticipating the name of my first grandson so it was especially touching when I hear it for the first time.