Saturday, January 10, 2009

Way Ahead of His Time!

I have my cell phone programmed to call my wife by my voice command. I just used that feature and delivered a message. I have done that a thousand times, but for some reason this time it caused me to think of a guy I had not thought of in over 30 years.

We were in the 8th grade, so it was 1961 I think, and we had to do science projects. That may have been the year I made an anamometer. But John Treichler brought in his project and wowed us all. He had two telephones, remember the old rotary dials? He picked up one receiver and spoke the number into it, and the other phone rang! We were impressed.

Johnny accelerated his education and entered Rice University, an elite institution, while the rest of us were still in high school. I have not seen him since the football game against our biggest rivalry when I was a senior.

I decided to Google his name today and found that he got his bachelor and masters degrees from from Rice adn his PHDEE from Stanford. He served in the Navy in the early 70's, remember Viet Nam?


Back in 1984 he helped co-found Applied Signal Technologies. He now makes over half a million in annual compensation. I wonder how many of his ideas I have used unknowingly over the years?


Subscribe to Family Fun & Faith




Add to Technorati Favorites