Saturday, May 30, 2009

25 Years and Counting!

We had a big reception this afternoon to celebrate the 25th wedding anniversary of my dad and my step-mother. My mom passed away 26 years ago, having been married to Dad for 36 years. Melba, my step-mom, had outlived 2 husbands. A few months ago, as their 25th approached, she remarked that in all she had now been married about 60 years and never had a 25th anniversary.

My brothers and sisters and our mates made plans to give them a party to remember, but we did not want to make it a surprise party, we wanted them to anticipate the day.

We rented a civic center in the county seat of the county in which Dad and Melba live. We decorated in an understated way, with the highlight being flowers from Dad’s garden. The food was nice, but not fancy. We had a very nice multimedia presentation that was produced by one of the grandchildren that was very poignant. The guests came from as far away as Michigan and New Mexico, which was very pleasing to Dad and Melba. They had a very good time. In fact, they almost always have a good time. I do not think I know anyone that is more happy in their marriage than these two. They have had a really good run!

Twenty-five years ago I had the privilege of leading Dad and Melba in their vows. Today, Dad wore the same suit he wore on that day. I did not!






Add to Technorati Favorites

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats to the young couple.

Family Fun and Faith said...

Young indeed! They have a great joy in life that a lot of young folks seem to miss!