Monday, May 25, 2009

Caught in the Act!

When I was in seventh grade, I learned a life-changing lesson. In those days we left our gym clothes in a basket in the locker room all week. We took them home each Friday for washing. One Friday, for some reason, I forgot to pick up my gym clothes. When I got home my mom asked where my gym clothes were. We only lived three blocks or so from the gym, I could easily have gone back and gotten them and been home with no real impact on my weekend.

But for some reason I told my mom that I had gone by the gym and my clothes were gone. I told her someone must have stolen them. I was not in the habit of lying to my folks, but that one seemed to work. I did not have to go back to school that afternoon, problem over.

I was the oldest of 4 and dad worked hard to provide for us. We lived from paycheck to paycheck, so the next day when he took me to town to replace my gym clothes and tennis shoes, I knew it was not an expected expense. I felt really bad, but I did not own up to the lie.

I was a good student and it was not uncommon for me to be called to the office to get some recognition or opportunity. The principal was a good friend of ours, and an elder in the church where we went to worship. So when I was called to the office on Monday morning, I was not prepared for what was awaiting me. My mom and dad were sitting in Mr. Rasco's office! I swallowed hard and entered. I had to come clean and answer for my lie. I determined that day I never wanted to have that feeling again.

Honesty is the best policy!






Add to Technorati Favorites

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OUCH! While that must've been really hard at the time, that was the perfect age for such a life lesson. You were old enough to recognize not only your lie, but the way that it impacted your parents--that stuff sticks with you!

I remember getting a bit of a moral wake-up call in 7th grade, too. I was part of a group of advanced placement students that were separated from the rest of the class for a portion of each day to work on special projects. Because we were all the rule-abiding, reliable type, we were allowed to work largely unsupervised.

One day as we were working on something at a table in an otherwise empty room, I decided to impress my fellow nerds by using a vulgar word. It worked. They were dazzled. So I used it again...and again. They were thoroughly impressed, laughing and nodding, when suddenly, their faces changed.

Sure enough, the principal was standing behind me, and he was not nearly as impressed with my colorful language as my friends were. I was mortified. He asked me if I'd care to repeat what I'd said--I declined. Then he asked if I'd care to accompany him to the office, call home, and repeat what I'd said to my mother.

I pleaded with him to not force me to make that call and when he asked why, I told him that I didn't want to hurt or embarrass her. He let it go, and I was not only grateful, but knew that I never again wanted to behave in a way that I would be ashamed of, if seen or heard by an unintended audience.

Family Fun and Faith said...

I know that sinking feeling you had that day, and the mortification you felt. you are right, those life lessons when we are old enough to retain them can be very beneficial in the long haul.