Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The More You Get...

Material goods and physical possessions are THE focal point of human thought. Our carnal minds tend to see only the superficial. Men are measured by their physical abilities and success is judged by material assets. There is seldom a day that passes without us wishing we had this or that, usually in abundance. We even misunderstand those things we count as necessities.

The Lord has promised to provide for our needs, even more than He does for the birds of the air and the flowers of the field Matthew (6:26-33). Our priority needs to be seeking God and His righteousness. But even here, we will respond to the physical. Too often our prayers are filled with words of thanks for things. "Thank You for our home, our food, our clothing, and all the many blessings You have given us."

These are good words, as are the words, "Thank You, most of all for Jesus, who died on the cross for us." But are we seeing the true picture? Are we improperly regarding the gifts of Him, who loves us, and failing to properly recognize the Love of Him Who Gives?

Lord, may we not be guilty of placing more value and esteem on the gifts than on the Giver!





Add to Technorati Favorites

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For years, my oldest brother had a little sign on his fridge that read, "he who dies with the most toys wins." While most would take that sentiment lightly, it was (is) the way that he genuinely seems to think. I'm not saying that I'm not sometimes (okay, often) guilty of a similar thought process, though "stuff" has never been my real focus.

I tend to pray for strength and guidance and my dearest prayer is for the health, safety, and ongoing connectedness of those I love, both with each other and with God. Those are also the gifts for which I offer prayers of gratitude.

Of course, I am often found spouting off about how I want to win the lottery, too...just not when in prayer mode. ;O)

Family Fun and Faith said...

I don't think there is anything wrong with praying for physical blessings, unless it is only to hoard them or use them only for selfish reasons. But few of us are satisfied with enough.