Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Color My Childhood

This post is the result of a tag by a blogging friend on another site. The challenge is to Color My Childhood. If you have not been tagged and have read this far, consider yourself tagged.
*****************************************************************

Blue: Always my favorite color, maybe it had something to do with my first baseball uniform being blue. I was on the Dodgers for my three years of Little League, so our colors were royal blue and white. I loved putting that thing on!

Green: My dad has the greenest thumb of anyone I have ever seen! We always had a garden, as did all the neighbors, but Dad could out produce any of them. And it did not matter what he tried, it always grew. He still gardens now, and he is 81. For the past few years, in the winter he has planted carrots along the walkway from his house to the mailbox. The tops make a very bright border. A couple of weeks ago he harvested them and took a big batch to the MHMR facility in his neighborhood. He brought me about 2 bushels worth, which I have shared with those close to me. And you should see his yard when the day lilies burst into bloom.

Gray: My dad’s dad had very hairy arms, and all I ever knew them to be was gray. I think of him often now as the hair on my hands have begun to turn that color.

Brown: This brings to mind the rich deep brown that the leather of my ball glove became when I oiled it up each spring. I remember being so excited when my dad brought it home. I was eight and it replace the “little kid” glove I had had. It was an Eddie Mathews model Spalding brand. I used it all the way through high school and the first year of college. ( And just in case you think I misspelled the Hall of Famer’s name, it only has one t in it!)

Yellow: When I got to choose the color of my own bedroom (we had just expanded the house so I did not have to share with my little brothers any more), I painted it a bright yellow. I kept it that way for several years. I changed to Periwinkle blue when I was in high school, but I liked the yellow better.

Black: The only suit I had was black, because it could be used for any occasion. When I would outgrow one, it would be replaced with another black one. I still have a black suit, but I prefer other colors most of the time.

Red: In 4th grade I got my first new bicycle. It was a Schwinn, 26”. I was the envy of the neighborhood!

Orange: In my childhood, one of the best things we got in our stockings at Christmas time was oranges. I still love oranges and I don’t have to wait till Christmas to have the treat!



Subscribe to Family Fun & Faith




Add to Technorati Favorites

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Blue is my favorite color also. Perhaps because it's one of the few I can discern.

Family Fun and Faith said...

I am not color blind, thankfully. Or are you referring to seeing only the blues?