Friday, March 27, 2009

Fears

Fear is an interesting topic and I expect to read some very interesting posts this week. I believe almost all of us have fears in one measure or another, and are probably better off because we have those fears. A healthy fear of falling keeps us from taking dangerous steps. The healthy fear of pain helps us to decide wisely to avoid circumstances that are likely to bring pain for no beneficial reason. And a healthy fear of eternal damnation causes us to seek salvation.

I suppose it is those inordinate fears that many will write about this week. An inordinate fear of flying, an inordinate fear of the dark, an inordinate fear of spiders or snakes, any fear that causes us to be paralyzed and incapable of functioning properly can rob us of joy, comfort, & productive living.

I suppose the fear that holds me back most in some circumstances is also the fear that motivates me to give my utmost effort in other circumstances. It may be two fears, though I think they are so interrelated that I count them as one; the fear failure and the fear disappointing those I care about. There have been many times in my life that I thought I wanted to try something; to experience something. But because of the fear of not being able to accomplish it or that I would somehow be disappointing, I didn't even try. Those were more prevalent when I was younger than they are now, but I wonder if they will return in force as I get older. The few regrets I have in life relate in some ways to the fears.

On the other hand, some of the greatest joys and satisfactions of life have come because I worked so hard to avoid failure or to avoid disappointing someone and was thus able to accomplish or to achieve, sometimes even beyond my own expectations. The fact is I have had several times when I did fail and disappointment, but I can't remember ever regretting having given something my best.

(first posted a qassia)





Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: