Monday, March 16, 2009

Josh Turner at the Houston Rodeo

Last Saturday I got a call from a friend who offered me tickets to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. The rodeo is a big deal around here, both as a charitable organization and as a provider of entertainment at a very reasonable price. The rodeo runs a full three weeks. Each performance of the rodeo has a nationally popular music act as well as the top professional cowboys. This is the 77th year for the Livestock Show and Rodeo in Houston and they have contributed $250 million to fund youth programs and scholarships. Over the years they have had some terrific acts on stage, including Elvis.

The star performer Saturday was Josh Turner. I am not a big country music fan, but I was impressed with his show. Turner has a very deep voice and his fans really went wild when he hit the low notes. I liked that fact that his songs were all upbeat instead of the “crying in your beer” type lyrics.
I was impressed with his three numbers that pointed to a relationship with God. He sang, “Me & God”, “The Long Black Train”, which I believe are his songs. But my favorite seems to be someone else’s’ song that he sings, “That's Just The Way He Was Raised.” That one gave me goose bumps.





Add to Technorati Favorites

2 comments:

Fully Blessed said...

Ok, I am going to see if I can make a comment now. I really can't believe you would go to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo? I just never would of pictured that in a million years.

Family Fun and Faith said...

Can one really call herself Fully Blessed if she has not been to the Livestock show and Rodeo. I was there, and I have witnesses!