Saturday, November 10, 2007

Records?

A couple of days ago in a discussion with my girls and grandkids about music, I showed my age and how out of touch I am. I asked one of them if they had any records of Hannah Montana. Several of the young ones looked at me funny and asked, "Records?" I realized that none of my grandkids has ever had, and maybe never seen a record player!

As we laughed and talked about the progression of recording on phonograph records, to 8 track tapes, to cassettes, to CDs to MP3 players. Today I saw a news piece about a creative guy making use of old records. Maybe I will get some of his creations for my grandchildren for Christmas!





Subscribe to Family Fun & Faith



Add to Technorati Favorites

6 comments:

hifidel said...

That's funny to think about, ff&f... a generation that doesn't even know what a record is. It's been a while, and things sure have changed, haven't they?

Anonymous said...

All things must go out of style. The only people that use records are music DJ's and even they are moving into CD's.

Records back in the day served a grand purpose, but their purpose is more than outdated when they are so many more convenient ways to listen to your favorite music. I mean, who wants to carry around a milk crate full of records or load up on endless cases of CD's. No way! Just drop a few hundred dollars on a good MP3 player or IPod and carry all of those records and CD's in one light piece of equipment that fits into your pocket.

Family Fun and Faith said...

Hello hifidel and Marcus. Yes things do change and I even like the MP# that I use to "read" audio books. But it is a bit sad to find that the cool things of your youth are now relics.

I visited a guy the other day that finds and restores juke boxes. The kids with me were fascinated at the 45's in the machine!

Unknown said...

Ah, yes...Albums, juke boxes, record players, tolerance, intelligent discussion, social skills; I love to reminisce.

Unknown said...

I hope you realize my previous comment was a reflection of my feelings toward society's direction in general, and not a personal affront.

Family Fun and Faith said...

Pinhole, your first comment was right in line with my own feelings, and I think, the spirit of the post.

I am not so easily offended as to be put off by your comments. Besides, I think you are a refreshing voice that calls me to see things from a new perspective very often and I appreciate it.